Frustrated train commuters waiting . . . w~
Fra : Rob Huibers

Dato : 11-08-01 21:25

Waiting for a delayed slow train to Amsterdam to leave on a morning when a
vital computer system went down during rush hour. All express trains were
cancelled. After a poorly organized privatization process Dutch railways
excell mainly in delays, cancellations, strikes and deteriorating safety
standards.
Photo of the month on http://www.photo.nl/

Fra : Tony Polson

Dato : 11-08-01 22:33

Rob.Huibars@intar.NL.nat (Rob Huibers) wrote:

> Waiting for a delayed slow train to Amsterdam to leave on a morning when a
> vital computer system went down during rush hour. All express trains were
> cancelled. After a poorly organized privatization process Dutch railways
> excell mainly in delays, cancellations, strikes and deteriorating safety
> standards.

Hi Rob,

You make the former NS sound *exactly* like the British railway system.

> Photo of the month on http://www.photo.nl/

In Britain there would be three times as many people crammed into a
vestibule three times smaller, all of whom would be at least three times
as angry. So if you think the Dutch railways can't get much worse, be
assured that *they surely can*.

--

Best regards,

Tony Polson

Fra : Rob Huibers

Dato : 12-08-01 13:39

In article <6c8bntgtghk3l1tqf54b9sd35i27nnht6s@4ax.com>,
tony.polson@btinternet.com wrote:

> Rob.Huibars@intar.NL.nat (Rob Huibers) wrote:
>
> > Waiting for a delayed slow train to Amsterdam to leave on a morning when a
> > vital computer system went down during rush hour. All express trains were
> > cancelled. After a poorly organized privatization process Dutch railways
> > excell mainly in delays, cancellations, strikes and deteriorating safety
> > standards.
>
> Hi Rob,
>
> You make the former NS sound *exactly* like the British railway system.
>
> > Photo of the month on http://www.photo.nl/
>
> In Britain there would be three times as many people crammed into a
> vestibule three times smaller, all of whom would be at least three times
> as angry. So if you think the Dutch railways can't get much worse, be
> assured that *they surely can*.

I know. Ten years ago we had one of the smoothest working railway systems.
If there's one thing we are afraid of now, it is the example of the
"heirs" of British Rail.

Fra : Tony Polson

Dato : 12-08-01 22:12

Rob.Huibars@intar.NL.nat (Rob Huibers) wrote:

> I know. Ten years ago we had one of the smoothest working railway systems.

Hi Rob,

I know too. In the late 1980s I lived in Zandvoort and commuted by
train to work in Amsterdam. At weekends I travelled the length and
breadth of the Netherlands as a tourist, and thoroughly enjoyed it all.

> If there's one thing we are afraid of now, it is the example of the
> "heirs" of British Rail.

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

--

Best regards,

Tony Polson

Fra : Peter Twydell

Dato : 13-08-01 07:39

In article <a4sdnto79tsog4sm3312hrnmnnpg07rc16@4ax.com>, Tony Polson
<tony.polson@btinternet.com> writes
>Rob.Huibars@intar.NL.nat (Rob Huibers) wrote:
>>
>> I know. Ten years ago we had one of the smoothest working railway systems.
>
>Hi Rob,
>
>I know too. In the late 1980s I lived in Zandvoort and commuted by
>train to work in Amsterdam. At weekends I travelled the length and
>breadth of the Netherlands as a tourist, and thoroughly enjoyed it all.
>
>> If there's one thing we are afraid of now, it is the example of the
>> "heirs" of British Rail.
>
>Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

Nederlandse Spoorwegen's latest trick is to cut several hundred trains a
day from the summer timetables. One such cut is the direct Amsterdam-
Zandvoort service, so you have to change. Brilliant management decision,
messing up a very popular direct city-seaside route.
Horror stories abound, such as passengers having to travel from
Amsterdam to The Hague a few weeks ago via Utrecht.
--
Peter

Ying Tong Diddle I Po

Fra : Tony Polson

Dato : 13-08-01 11:23

Peter Twydell <peter@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Nederlandse Spoorwegen's latest trick is to cut several hundred trains a
> day from the summer timetables. One such cut is the direct Amsterdam-
> Zandvoort service, so you have to change. Brilliant management decision,
> messing up a very popular direct city-seaside route.
> Horror stories abound, such as passengers having to travel from
> Amsterdam to The Hague a few weeks ago via Utrecht.

Hi Peter,

And to think that, ten years ago, the Dutch and Swiss railways were both
object lessons in how to provide excellent rail services.

I presume you have to change at Haarlem for Zandvoort? I used to have
to do that if travelling outside the peak hours.

--

Best regards,

Tony Polson

Fra : Pat Chaney

Dato : 14-08-01 08:45

Tony Polson <tony.polson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I presume you have to change at Haarlem for Zandvoort? I used to have
>to do that if travelling outside the peak hours.

You had to go via New York? Things must be far worse than I thought :)

Pat
--
Photos at:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowGallery.cfm?Format=Cell&AcctID=1251

Fra : Peter Twydell

Dato : 13-08-01 13:10

In article <2gafntsvab231knk5b8hjag664052vmuce@4ax.com>, Tony Polson
<tony.polson@btinternet.com> writes
>Peter Twydell <peter@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Nederlandse Spoorwegen's latest trick is to cut several hundred trains a
>> day from the summer timetables. One such cut is the direct Amsterdam-
>> Zandvoort service, so you have to change. Brilliant management decision,
>> messing up a very popular direct city-seaside route.
>> Horror stories abound, such as passengers having to travel from
>> Amsterdam to The Hague a few weeks ago via Utrecht.
>

>Hi Peter,
>
>And to think that, ten years ago, the Dutch and Swiss railways were both
>object lessons in how to provide excellent rail services.
>
>I presume you have to change at Haarlem for Zandvoort? I used to have
>to do that if travelling outside the peak hours.

I expect so. The last time I travelled on that line was to the Grand
Prix in 1973!
If you _really_ want to know, try the NS at http//:www.ns.nl/reisinfo/

De groeten!
--