Making servants of our master
Fra : RH

Dato : 02-11-10 03:53

In “The New Aristocracy” I described the evolution of a modern
international elite and the general reasons why elites are so
successful in preserving their privileged position. My purpose here
is to examine how the natural and probably ineradicable tendencies
of political elites to behave abusively and selfishly towards the
mass of men may be moderated by institutional and constitutional
means. The article is directed at the British political system, but
has a broad degree of general application.

In resisting the abuse of the many by the few, Britain begins with the
great advantages of a parliamentary system with MPs elected by the
first-past-the-post method and a non-executive head of state
chosen by a means outside any political manipulation short of
outright criminality such as murder. These advantages provide a
massive barricade against a Prime Minister who would be a despot.
He cannot act without the support of an elected parliamentary
majority. His cabinet in practice must be overwhelmingly drawn
from elected politicians. He may change his cabinet, but he cannot do
so without regard to a cabinet member’s status and popularity
within the party on whose support he depends.....

Read more at:

http://livinginamadhouse.wordpress.com/2010/11/02/making-servants-of-our-masters/