IRELAND SAYS NO TO THE EU TREATY
Fra : D2Zabcdef@googlemail~

Dato : 15-06-08 12:10

IRELAND SAYS NO TO THE LISBON TREATY

Irish voters have rejected the Lisbon treaty, the country's justice
minister conceded today, in a move which throws the entire project of
reshaping the EU into turmoil.

Monitors from the Fianna Fáil party at the main count in Dublin said
that so far the breakdown in votes showed a 52% to 48% majority for
the no camp.

"It looks like this will be a no vote," the justice minister, Dermot
Ahern, said. "At the end of the day, for a myriad of reasons, the
people have spoken.

"We will have to wait and see what happens in the rest of the
countries. Obviously if we are the only one to reject the treaty that
will raise questions. We are in uncharted territories."

Unofficial early polls suggested voters in most constituencies voted
against the Lisbon treaty, the state broadcaster RTE reported.
Official results are expected later today.

The no vote was strong in many rural areas and in working-class urban
areas, while middle-class areas appeared to be less supportive of the
treaty than had been anticipated, RTE said.

Reuters reported that in Dublin, the no camp was ahead in five
constituencies and behind in one, while three were evenly split.

Dublin accounts for about a quarter of the country's electorate.

Joan Burton, an Irish Labour MP, said there had been a no majority in
her Dublin West constituency.

Speaking at the count, Burton said: "Although there was a lot of
misinformation by the no camp in this campaign the message from this
result is that whenever the EU draws up a treaty they should make it
intelligible to ordinary people.

"That was one of the biggest problems of this campaign – thousands and
thousands of people couldn't even understand what the treaty was
about."

Antonio Missiroli, director of studies at the European Policy Centre
thinktank, said: "This triggers a political crisis in Europe that
requires strong leadership in Ireland, in Brussels and elsewhere in
Europe.

If the no vote is confirmed later today, the EU is likely to face two
options. Either give Ireland an opt out to the treaty or shelve it
completely.

Irish government sources said they were "disappointed" at tally
predictions of a lower-than-expected yes vote in some constituencies,
particularly in rural areas.

The bitter divisions caused by the treaty were visible at the count
during ugly scenes involving Ireland's finance minister, Brian
Lenihan, and members of Coir, a radical anti-abortion campaign group.
Coir opposed the treaty on the grounds that European law could
supplant Irish legal bans on abortion – a scenario the Irish
government consistently said was impossible.

As the minister attempted to speak to a television news crew he was
surrounded by Coir activists who screamed at him and sang: "No, no,
there's no no, there's no Lisbon" to the tune of 2Unlimited's No
limits.

When Burton attempted to intervene and point out that the minister had
a right to speak she was spat at.

Analysts earlier said the turnout of around 40% could tip the balance
towards a no vote, bringing about the demise of the controversial and
poorly understood pact.

All 27 EU countries have to ratify the Lisbon treaty for it to be
passed meaning voters in Ireland – the only country to hold a
referendum on the issue – can veto the negotiations. Detractors
suggest the treaty is an EU constitution in all but name.

When polls closed last night, RTE reported that voter turnout had
failed to exceed 45%.

The Lisbon treaty seeks to reshape EU institutions and powers in line
with the bloc's rapid growth in recent years to 27 nations and 495
million people. It proposes many of the same reforms as the EU's
previous master plan - a constitution that French and Dutch voters
rejected in 2005.

Only Ireland's 3 million registered voters pose a serious threat to
ratification, because the other 26 members require approval through
their national parliaments.

So far, more than a dozen EU members have ratified it, including the
parliaments of Estonia, Finland and Greece on Wednesday, but others
have held back while awaiting the Irish referendum result.

The Irish government, major opposition parties and business leaders
all campaigned for a yes vote during a month-long campaign that
emphasised Ireland's strong benefits from 35 years of EU membership.

The prime minister, Brian Cowen, said he had led the campaign for
Irish ratification "as best as I possibly could", and accused anti-
treaty voters of spreading lies and distortions.

Pressure groups from the far left and right claimed that the treaty
would result in Ireland losing control of everything from its business
tax rates to its ban on abortion. Cowen and most of the political
establishment branded such claims as nonsense.

Many voters said they did not understand the treaty's implications
well enough, and were essentially voting on whether they felt happy
with Ireland's place in Europe.

"Ireland would still be the economic basket case of Europe without the
EU. We should be doing everything we can to help EU institutions
function better, because all the evidence shows they function in our
interest," said a pro-treaty voter, accountant Padraig Walsh.

But others complained that the EU's near-doubling in size since 2004
had brought unwelcome change to Ireland, particularly more than
200,000 jobseekers from Poland and the Baltic states who now snap up a
majority of available jobs.

"I feel like a foreigner in my own land. There's been too much change,
too quick," said anti-treaty voter Eugene Leary, a laid-off
construction worker who has turned to part-time taxi work to make ends
meet.

"You don't mean to be a bigot or a racist. But you would like to see
your country keep control of its identity, and make sure your own
people are being looked after first. That's just not happening."

Many no voters said they were annoyed that the Lisbon treaty contains
largely the same reform goals as the rejected constitution, and
expressed solidarity with the voters of France and the Netherlands who
dumped that document.

http://www.bpp.org.uk/irishreferendum2.html

No doubt the Eurocrats of Brussels wil now try and change the rules to
push this Globalist treaty through but three cheers for the people of
Eire for giving this unholy legislation the elbow!

www.stormfront.org
www.vnnforum.com
www.davidduke.com
www.thephora.org

Fra : Yzokras

Dato : 15-06-08 12:26

On 15 juin, 20:09, D2Zabc...@googlemail.com wrote:
> [...]
> too quick," said anti-treaty voter Eugene Leary, a laid-off
> construction worker who has turned to part-time taxi work to make ends
> meet.
>
> "You don't mean to be a bigot or a racist. But you would like to see
> your country keep control of its identity, and make sure your own
> people are being looked after first. That's just not happening."
>
> Many no voters said they were annoyed that the Lisbon treaty contains
> largely the same reform goals as the rejected constitution, and
> expressed solidarity with the voters of France and the Netherlands who
> dumped that document.
>
> http://www.bpp.org.uk/irishreferendum2.html
>
> No doubt the Eurocrats of Brussels wil now try and change the rules to
> push this Globalist treaty through but three cheers for the people of
> Eire for giving this unholy legislation the elbow!

Thanks !