Brazil Photos -- New Reportage - Bahia I~
Fra : p.szewczyk@allphoto.~

Dato : 01-09-07 14:07

New Reportage - Bahia Independence Day
120 pictures

http://www.allphoto.com.pl/galeria/thumbnails.php?album=35
http://www.allphoto.com.pl/galeria/thumbnails.php?album=35&page=2
http://www.allphoto.com.pl/galeria/thumbnails.php?album=35&page=3
http://www.allphoto.com.pl/galeria/thumbnails.php?album=35&page=4

[English]
In 1808, the Portuguese court, fleeing from Napoleon troops which had
invaded Portugal, established themselves in the city of Rio de
Janeiro.
After Joao VI returned to Portugal in 1821, his heir-apparent Pedro
became
regent of the Kingdom of Brazil. Following a series of political
incidents
and disputes, Brazil achieved its independence from Portugal on
September 7,
1822. On October 12, 1822, Dom Pedro became the first Emperor of
Brazil,
being crowned on December 1, 1822.
Bahia was the last area of Brazil to join the independent
confederation;
Some members in the elite remained loyal to the Portuguese crown after
the
rest of the country was granted independence. After several battles,
mostly
in Pirajá, the province was finally able to expel the Portuguese on
July 2,
1823, known as Bahia Independence Day, a great popular celebration. In
the
state there is an ongoing discussion about the exact moment of
Brazilian
independence, because for almost all "baianos," it really happened in
Bahia
with the battles, and not on September 7, when the Emperor, Pedro I,
declared independence.
(Source: Wikipedia)