"Only a German"
Fra : nednedned@gmail.com

Dato : 07-03-07 09:02

Hi all.

Posting from way distant Australia - I hope to a suitable group.

What was the reaction in Danish society to the program "Only a German"
which suggested many Germans who came to Denmark at the end of the war
were allowed to die by being given poor medical treatment?

Has anyone seen this?

Anyone have a copy?

Thanks for reading my post in English - I'm sorry I can't understand
Danish.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew

Fra : Knud Larsen

Dato : 07-03-07 10:58

<nednedned@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> Posting from way distant Australia - I hope to a suitable group.
>
> What was the reaction in Danish society to the program "Only a German"
> which suggested many Germans who came to Denmark at the end of the war
> were allowed to die by being given poor medical treatment?
>
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Anyone have a copy?
>
> Thanks for reading my post in English - I'm sorry I can't understand
> Danish.

In February 1945 Hitler ordered Denmark to receive german refugees, some
days more than 10.000 arrived in Copenhagen, - 80 pct of the schools were
taken over by the germans for the refugees.
In those month the number of Danes killed by the germans were at their
highest. Do you imagine that people found that the germans should be treated
especially well? There were not enough doctors to go round as it were, and
it was considered an act of treason to use your limited ressources on the
german enemy.

After the end of the war, there were 240.000 german refugees in Denmark, a
country with less than four million inhabitants, and a country in chaos
after the war.
First priority was certainly NOT to look after german refugees, and it was
decided that they should not be admitted into Danish hospitals, because of
the widespread amount of contagious diseases among them.
They were instead treated in camps set up for them, - by german doctors and
nurses, and it didn't work well in the first month after the war. Many died
in the period right before and after the liberation.

I heard a doctor who was critisized for not wanting to work with the
refugees, and he said that he had to choose where to put his effort, and he
found it natural to not choose the people of the former enemy instead of his
usual patients.

It is easy with hindsight, and with the way we think about human rights and
minorities today, to find faults with the way people of another time acted.
But of course it is fine to do research into the way things were.
One can only hope that the people who get morally upset, take the
opportunity to do something good NOW, when THEY have the opportunity. Maybe
by going to Darfur, to work for the refugees there.

I have seen more than one TV-program about the german refugees, probably
including the one you mention, AND there has been af lot of discussion in
the media, about what we 'should' have done, and whether we really acted
below what one would have expected at the time, - som say yes, and others
no.

Hope you live in a sunny spot near a beach, if you go diving, say hello to
some of the beautiful fish

You could try to post to "dk.videnskab.historie" where they discuss topics
of historical interest.

Fra : Egon Stich

Dato : 07-03-07 14:33

"Knud Larsen" <mafishmaskela@yahoo.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse

> <nednedned@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all.
> >
> > Posting from way distant Australia - I hope to a suitable group.
> >
> > What was the reaction in Danish society to the program "Only a German"
> > which suggested many Germans who came to Denmark at the end of the war
> > were allowed to die by being given poor medical treatment?
> >
> > Has anyone seen this?
> >
> > Anyone have a copy?
> >
> > Thanks for reading my post in English - I'm sorry I can't understand
> > Danish.
>
> In February 1945 Hitler ordered Denmark to receive german refugees, some
> days more than 10.000 arrived in Copenhagen, - 80 pct of the schools were
> taken over by the germans for the refugees.
> In those month the number of Danes killed by the germans were at their
> highest. Do you imagine that people found that the germans should be
treated
> especially well? There were not enough doctors to go round as it were, and
> it was considered an act of treason to use your limited ressources on the
> german enemy.

One thing to think about:
Most of the German refugees was children and women.
They payed the price for the former allies of germany, the Danes, anger.
In reality, it was only a minority of the Danes, who offered active
resistance.

Many doctors would not have anything to do with the refugees, but let dem
suffer, and die on ther own, although many could have been saved, with a
minimum of effort.
The quantity of food offered the camps, was barely enough to die, let alone
to live, on.
It was simply not a human treatment, the refugees was offered.

This part of the history is not a pleasent one, and the Danes are not happy
to discuss this matter.

It was simply revenge, in its most ugly apperence.
The victims: Women and children.

Nothing to be proud off.

Egon

Fra : nednedned@gmail.com

Dato : 07-03-07 11:05

On Mar 7, 8:58 pm, "Knud Larsen" <mafishmask...@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> <nedned...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi all.
>
> > Posting from way distant Australia - I hope to a suitable group.
>
> > What was the reaction in Danish society to the program "Only a German"
> > which suggested many Germans who came to Denmark at the end of the war
> > were allowed to die by being given poor medical treatment?
>
> > Has anyone seen this?
>
> > Anyone have a copy?
>
> > Thanks for reading my post in English - I'm sorry I can't understand
> > Danish.
>
> In February 1945 Hitler ordered Denmark to receive german refugees, some
> days more than 10.000 arrived in Copenhagen, - 80 pct of the schools were
> taken over by the germans for the refugees.
> In those month the number of Danes killed by the germans were at their
> highest. Do you imagine that people found that the germans should be treated
> especially well? There were not enough doctors to go round as it were, and
> it was considered an act of treason to use your limited ressources on the
> german enemy.
>
> After the end of the war, there were 240.000 german refugees in Denmark, a
> country with less than four million inhabitants, and a country in chaos
> after the war.
> First priority was certainly NOT to look after german refugees, and it was
> decided that they should not be admitted into Danish hospitals, because of
> the widespread amount of contagious diseases among them.
> They were instead treated in camps set up for them, - by german doctors and
> nurses, and it didn't work well in the first month after the war. Many died
> in the period right before and after the liberation.
>
> I heard a doctor who was critisized for not wanting to work with the
> refugees, and he said that he had to choose where to put his effort, and he
> found it natural to not choose the people of the former enemy instead of his
> usual patients.
>
> It is easy with hindsight, and with the way we think about human rights and
> minorities today, to find faults with the way people of another time acted.
> But of course it is fine to do research into the way things were.
> One can only hope that the people who get morally upset, take the
> opportunity to do something good NOW, when THEY have the opportunity. Maybe
> by going to Darfur, to work for the refugees there.
>
> I have seen more than one TV-program about the german refugees, probably
> including the one you mention, AND there has been af lot of discussion in
> the media, about what we 'should' have done, and whether we really acted
> below what one would have expected at the time, - som say yes, and others
> no.
>
> Hope you live in a sunny spot near a beach, if you go diving, say hello to
> some of the beautiful fish
>
> You could try to post to "dk.videnskab.historie" where they discuss topics
> of historical interest.

Thank you for your excellent reply. I will post to
dk.videnskab.historie also and see what people there think. Please
realise that I am not making any criticisms at all - I was just keen
to hear any more information on this topic from anyone in Denmark.
Yes, I do live near a beach - just a week ago I was diving and looking
at the beautiful fish.
Thanks again.

Fra : Poul Nielsen

Dato : 07-03-07 11:07

<nednedned@gmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi all.
>
> Posting from way distant Australia - I hope to a suitable group.
>
> What was the reaction in Danish society to the program "Only a German"
> which suggested many Germans who came to Denmark at the end of the war
> were allowed to die by being given poor medical treatment?
>
> Has anyone seen this?
>
> Anyone have a copy?
>
> Thanks for reading my post in English - I'm sorry I can't understand
> Danish.
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Andrew

Well you see the Germans invaded our country and created a lot of misery,
thus the hatred against the Germans was so intense that no one protested
against the poor treatment.