Harper To Increase Military Presence In Th~
Fra : Greg Carr

Dato : 12-08-06 23:38

Harper says stronger presence needed to defend Arctic sovereignty
32 minutes ago

By Dene Moore

IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

While some countries, most notably the United States, do not recognize
that right, Harper promised during his first visit to the North that
Canada will enforce and defend its sovereignty in Arctic waters.

"This will become more important in the decades to come because
northern oil and gas, minerals and other resources of the northern
frontier will become ever more valuable," Harper told hundreds of
residents, politicians and military personnel who came out to greet him
at the Nunavut legislature on Saturday.

Some scientists believe that the effects of climate change could open
the Northwest Passage, which links the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, to
year-round shipping in as little as a decade.

Tiny, barren Hans Island in the Arctic Ocean has already been the
subject of a diplomatic scuffle with Denmark, as nations awaken to the
economic potential of the region.

"The economics and the strategic value of northern resource development
are growing more attractive and critical to our nation," Harper said.

"And trust me, it's not only Canadians who are noticing. It's no
exaggeration to say that the need to assert our sovereignty and take
action to protect our territorial integrity in the Arctic has never
been more urgent."

A major military operation just finished in the Beaufort Sea, while a
joint military exercise is currently underway to the northernmost
reaches of Canada's claimed 200-nautical-mile - or 370-kilometre -
exclusive economic zone in the eastern Arctic.

"All along the border our jurisdiction extends outwards 200 miles into
the surrounding sea, just as it does along the Atlantic and Pacific
coasts. No more and no less," Harper said.

To that end, Harper promised an increased military presence in the
North, as well as continued lobbying of the U.S. and other nations that
have not yet ratified the international treaty that recognizes the
200-mile economic zone.

"We think we can make a strong case to the United States that Canada
asserting fully its sovereignty is actually in the interests of the
entire international community, including the United States itself,"
Harper told reporters.

"In the meantime we continue to take steps to visibly protect and
defend our sovereignty in the Canadian Arctic."

Nunavut Premier Paul Okalik welcomed Harper's visit - and his promise
of more federal spending.

Harper's government has already made investments addressing the housing
and social concerns of northern residents.

"Our occupancy and use of the land and waters reinforces daily Canada's
claim of Arctic sovereignty," Okalik said. "Inuit have lived here for
many millennia."

But there was no word on the location of a promised deep-sea port that
has been the subject of intense lobbying by all three territorial
governments.

Duane Smith, president of the Inuit Circumpolar Council, also welcomed
Harper's promise to assert sovereignty over Arctic waters.

"Climate change is easing shipping access to the Northwest Passage and
the Arctic Ocean, and is promoting further exploration for oil, gas,
and minerals in the North," Smith said in a statement.

The Arctic Council, comprised of eight northern nations including
Canada, is currently assessing the level of shipping that can be
expected in the coming decades.

The report "will illustrate the nature and potential magnitude of the
threat to Canada's Arctic sovereignty by foreign shipping," Smith said.
The Prime Minister was to visit the military base in Alert, Nunavut on
Sunday before heading to Yellowknife and Whitehorse later in the week.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/12082006/2/national-harper-says-stronger-presence-needed-defend-arctic-sovereignty.html
Good to see PM Harper is going to assert sovereignty in the Arctic
against encroachment by the Danes and the desires of the US. Hans
Island belongs to Canada and the Danes should relinquish all claim to
it, if for no other reason than gratitude to the sacrifice that Cdn
troops made in WW2 to help liberate Europe including Denmark and caring
for the Danish royal family in exile in Canada.

Cdns should boycott all Danish companies including A.P. Moller, Reimer
(trucking), Hudd Distribution, P&O Nedlloyd, Carlsberg (beer) and
Maersk Sealand until the Danish govt recognizes Cdn control over Hans
Island. At least a company of troops should be stationed at Hans Island
full time until Denmark renounces its wrongful claim.

One of the best things Liberal leader Bill Graham ever did was to tour
the island that Denmark illegally covets.

Fra : Tom P.

Dato : 13-08-06 01:16

Greg Carr wrote:
> Harper says stronger presence needed to defend Arctic sovereignty
> 32 minutes ago
>
> By Dene Moore
>
> IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
> North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
> the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.

It's ironic that Harper has to increase Canadian presence in the North
since global warming is opening up the waters there, while at the same
time downplaying global warming to the Canadian public. He has canceled
many conservation efforts by the previous government without a clear
plan for alternatives.

Fra : Aeroplan

Dato : 13-08-06 01:35

"Tom P." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Greg Carr wrote:
>> Harper says stronger presence needed to defend Arctic sovereignty
>> 32 minutes ago
>>
>> By Dene Moore
>>
>> IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
>> North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
>> the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
>>

> It's ironic that Harper has to increase Canadian presence in the North
> since global warming is opening up the waters there, while at the same
> time downplaying global warming to the Canadian public. He has canceled
> many conservation efforts by the previous government without a clear plan
> for alternatives.

Maybe Harper wants to clear out the Nunavut people, so he can give the area
to Israel.

Fra : klunk

Dato : 13-08-06 01:43

> IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
> North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
> the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
>
> While some countries, most notably the United States, do not recognize
> that right, Harper promised during his first visit to the North that
> Canada will enforce and defend its sovereignty in Arctic waters.

ya... yoo bet... we have to watch for terrorists making their way over the
ice-flows... otherwise, bush may complain some more about our "open
borders".... wutfucknuts you and harpo both are...

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 02:48

Fra : klunk

Dato : 13-08-06 04:46

"klunk's a coward" <klunk@theothercoward.org> wrote in message
> In article <wAuDg.371259$iF6.297885@pd7tw2no>, klunk@theothershoe.org
> says...
>>
>>> IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
>>> North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
>>> the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
>>>
>>> While some countries, most notably the United States, do not recognize
>>> that right, Harper promised during his first visit to the North that
>>> Canada will enforce and defend its sovereignty in Arctic waters.
>>

>>ya... yoo bet... we have to watch for terrorists making their way over the
>>ice-flows... otherwise, bush may complain some more about our "open
>>borders".... wutfucknuts you and harpo both are...
>>

> Of course if an ignoramus like you ever picked up a newspaper or didn't
> flip
> the channel to the Cartoon Network at 6pm every day, you might have heard
> about
> Denmark's attempts to claim islands in the arctic so that they can claim
> right-of-way when the lucrative Northwest Passage opens up. Denmark's
> actions
> could easily cost Canada 100 times as much as the destruction of the WTC
> complex costed USA.

Of course if an ignoramus like you every stopped to think how much of an ass
you are with each and every post, you'd avoid the embarrassment of having to
change your nic so often... but i guess you have no time to reflect on
anything other than your own egotistical need to demonstrate your
inferiority... hmmm... sounds a bit like the Dunning-Kruger complex you just
discovered on your favourite resource site, Wikipedia... (i guess real
sources of information are just too difficult for you to grasp).... so....
just what is on at 6:00pm on the Cartoon Network anyway that you seem so
knowledgeable in...?

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 05:18

Fra : klunk

Dato : 13-08-06 21:04

> In article <wAuDg.371259$iF6.297885@pd7tw2no>, klunk@theothershoe.org
> says...
>>
>>> IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
>>> North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
>>> the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
>>>
>>> While some countries, most notably the United States, do not recognize
>>> that right, Harper promised during his first visit to the North that
>>> Canada will enforce and defend its sovereignty in Arctic waters.
>>

>>ya... yoo bet... we have to watch for terrorists making their way over the
>>ice-flows... otherwise, bush may complain some more about our "open
>>borders".... wutfucknuts you and harpo both are...
>>

> Furthermore, your follow-the-crowd
> hate-everything-american-because-its-trendy
> attitude is responsible for your failure to even read the article in a
> manner
> that suggests comprehension has occurred. The portion you quoted and
> replied
> to with an all-too-typical "Bush and Harper are on the same side and
> anything
> they want is bad" tantrum actually says that USA (that is, Bush) DOES NOT
> RECOGNIZE CANADA'S RIGHT TO THE ARCTIC. So Harper and Bush are not in
> 'cahoots' over this, they are in disagreement over this. That means you
> can
> take the emergency tinfoil beenie off now, and put your usual dunce-cap
> back
> on.

Furthermore, your lunatic rants only reveal your incapacity to process
information and your attititude is likely one which has resulted in an
extremely lonely life, leaving you to fabricate accusations against others
on this ng... it must be difficult for you to live in a world where everyone
else is wrong and you are always right... even when you haven't a clue what
you're talking about... you're just as much of a fucknut as the other two
turds are, jermy... get a life... you'll thank me for it afterwards...

Fra : Henrik Svendsen

Dato : 13-08-06 03:12

On 12 Aug 2006 15:37:36 -0700, Greg Carr skrev:

> http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/12082006/2/national-harper-says-stronger-presence-needed-defend-arctic-sovereignty.html
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Good to see PM Harper is going to assert sovereignty in the Arctic
> against encroachment by the Danes and the desires of the US. Hans
> Island belongs to Canada and the Danes should relinquish all claim to
> it, if for no other reason than gratitude to the sacrifice that Cdn
> troops made in WW2 to help liberate Europe including Denmark and caring
> for the Danish royal family in exile in Canada.

That compares to you giving us Ellsmere Island for saving
canadian butts in Iraq. We sent a genuine antique submarine
for the desert war. Thoroughly eqipped with the latest in high
tech snow shovels.

The Danish king stayed in Denmark all through ww2. The royal
head of Canada, by the way, stayed in England during that
period. Really pathetic.

1940 - Nazi Germany invades Denmark.
2005 - Imperialist Canada invades Denmark.

Same difference.
http://www.freehansisland.com/hansisland-bannerii.png

> Cdns should boycott all Danish companies including A.P. Moller, Reimer
> (trucking), Hudd Distribution, P&O Nedlloyd, Carlsberg (beer) and
> Maersk Sealand until the Danish govt recognizes Cdn control over Hans
> Island. At least a company of troops should be stationed at Hans Island
> full time until Denmark renounces its wrongful claim.

Well ... you're correct in naming the island "Hans Island",
and that quite settles the issue.

"Hans Island" is the danish and thus correct name for this
from times immemorial inseparable part of our glorious nation
(pbuu)

And its an outrage what Canada has commited on Hans Island!

Ever since your inhuman and illegal occupation of Hans Island
in 2005 no humans has been able to live there. The landscape
was left totally barren and devoid of any ability to sustain
the life for even one of you miniscule canadians.

But dont you get all cocky about that achivement.

What really happened was that we sent _two_ all-weather,
ice-strengthened war ships. Here is one of them:
http://www.2deling.dk/F359.htm

Canada doesn't posses that kind of sublime arctic military
power and resorted to send a _politician_ !!

You guys simply got no chance. By right and might .. Hans
Island i ours!

--
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are
the ones you want to concentrate on." - George W Bush

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 04:03

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 04:16

Fra : Henrik Svendsen

Dato : 13-08-06 13:21

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:15:45 GMT, klunk's a coward skrev:

> Suddenly illiterate natives were to be the slaves of
> illiterate europeons.

That would be "europeans". Just for the record - no hard
feelings.

--
The power to fit in with one?s social peers can be
irresistible. To a human lemming, the logic behind an opinion

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 22:40

Fra : Chud445

Dato : 13-08-06 23:01

klunk's a coward <klunk@theothercoward.org> wrote:

> In article <1e3ot0120wlir$.dlg@hrsvendsen.fqdn.th-h.de>, HrSvendsen@msn.com
> says...
> >
> >On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:15:45 GMT, klunk's a coward skrev:
> >
> >> Suddenly illiterate natives were to be the slaves of
> >> illiterate europeons.
> >
> >That would be "europeans". Just for the record - no hard
> >feelings.
> >

> hard feelings about you being a peon?

Well, that dumb fuck Franklin wouldn't even lower himself or his crew to
wearing the skins of the Inuit, nor learn their ways of survival as
presented in past expeditions.

As a result, he took 3 (massive for the time) ships, almost 160 men to
their deaths.

All when it was no surprise that the right way to do it was to know the
methods of the heathens and not play the game in a traditional manner.

Not unlike how the first European explorers to Canada from France were
almost wiped out by scurvy during the harsh winter, and saved by the
aboriginals in the simplest of ways. They made tea out of pine needles and
cured it.

Fra : Chud445

Dato : 13-08-06 23:07

Chud445 <chud445@gmail.com> wrote:

> klunk's a coward <klunk@theothercoward.org> wrote:
>
> > In article <1e3ot0120wlir$.dlg@hrsvendsen.fqdn.th-h.de>, HrSvendsen@msn.com
> > says...

> > >That would be "europeans". Just for the record - no hard
> > >feelings.
> > >

> > hard feelings about you being a peon?
> >
> Well, that dumb fuck Franklin wouldn't even lower himself or his crew to
> wearing the skins of the Inuit, nor learn their ways of survival as
> presented in past expeditions.
>
> As a result, he took 3 (massive for the time) ships, almost 160 men to
> their deaths.
>
> All when it was no surprise that the right way to do it was to know the
> methods of the heathens and not play the game in a traditional manner.
>
> Not unlike how the first European explorers to Canada from France were
> almost wiped out by scurvy during the harsh winter, and saved by the
> aboriginals in the simplest of ways. They made tea out of pine needles and
> cured it.

And, if I recall my history correctly, Champlain's idea of saving everyone
was to build a Chaple so they could pray to God for help! Yep! That's the
ticket!

Fra : Henrik Svendsen

Dato : 13-08-06 23:43

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:39:54 GMT, klunk's a coward skrev:

> In article <1e3ot0120wlir$.dlg@hrsvendsen.fqdn.th-h.de>, HrSvendsen@msn.com
> says...
>>
>>On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 03:15:45 GMT, klunk's a coward skrev:
>>
>>> Suddenly illiterate natives were to be the slaves of
>>> illiterate europeons.
>>
>>That would be "europeans". Just for the record - no hard
>>feelings.
>>

> hard feelings about you being a peon?

Being a slave of af peon? Is it possible to get any lower?

Be cool.
--
"If a lie is repeated often enough all the dumb jackasses in
the world not only get to believe it, they even swear by it."

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 04:20

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 04:29

Fra : Steven L.

Dato : 13-08-06 05:00

Greg Carr wrote:
> Harper says stronger presence needed to defend Arctic sovereignty
> 32 minutes ago
>
> By Dene Moore
>
> IQALUIT, Nunavut (CP) - There is vast economic potential in the Far
> North and enforcing Canadian sovereignty in the rich offshore waters of
> the Arctic is a priority, says Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
>
> While some countries, most notably the United States, do not recognize
> that right, Harper promised during his first visit to the North that
> Canada will enforce and defend its sovereignty in Arctic waters.
>
> "This will become more important in the decades to come because
> northern oil and gas, minerals and other resources of the northern
> frontier will become ever more valuable," Harper told hundreds of
> residents, politicians and military personnel who came out to greet him
> at the Nunavut legislature on Saturday.
>
> Some scientists believe that the effects of climate change could open
> the Northwest Passage, which links the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, to
> year-round shipping in as little as a decade.
>
> Tiny, barren Hans Island in the Arctic Ocean has already been the
> subject of a diplomatic scuffle with Denmark, as nations awaken to the
> economic potential of the region.
>
> "The economics and the strategic value of northern resource development
> are growing more attractive and critical to our nation," Harper said.
>
> "And trust me, it's not only Canadians who are noticing. It's no
> exaggeration to say that the need to assert our sovereignty and take
> action to protect our territorial integrity in the Arctic has never
> been more urgent."
>
> A major military operation just finished in the Beaufort Sea, while a
> joint military exercise is currently underway to the northernmost
> reaches of Canada's claimed 200-nautical-mile - or 370-kilometre -
> exclusive economic zone in the eastern Arctic.
>
> "All along the border our jurisdiction extends outwards 200 miles into
> the surrounding sea, just as it does along the Atlantic and Pacific
> coasts. No more and no less," Harper said.
>
> To that end, Harper promised an increased military presence in the
> North, as well as continued lobbying of the U.S. and other nations that
> have not yet ratified the international treaty that recognizes the
> 200-mile economic zone.
>
> "We think we can make a strong case to the United States that Canada
> asserting fully its sovereignty is actually in the interests of the
> entire international community, including the United States itself,"
> Harper told reporters.

We Americans agree.
Personally, I hope that Bush goes along with this. If global warming
opens up the Arctic, at least some good can come of it, and Canada could
become a fabulously wealthy nation. That's a GOOD thing for the U.S., a
nation that would prefer to get its natural resources from North America
rather than the unstable Third World if possible.

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Fra : Greg Carr

Dato : 13-08-06 05:11

Even Pat Robertson now admits to the fact of global warming.
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/viewArticle.asp?articleID=12122

Global warming is bad because it will increase the strength and number
of cyclones/tornadoes and hurricanes but it is good because it will
make frozen land in the north suitable for agriculture and makes it
easier to exploit mineral resources there. It also will make it
possible to navigate the Arctic while increasing the number of
icebergs.

Fra : Greg Carr

Dato : 13-08-06 05:21

Henrik Svendsen wrote:
> On 12 Aug 2006 15:37:36 -0700, Greg Carr skrev:
>
> > http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/12082006/2/national-harper-says-stronger-presence-needed-defend-arctic-sovereignty.html
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Good to see PM Harper is going to assert sovereignty in the Arctic
> > against encroachment by the Danes and the desires of the US. Hans
> > Island belongs to Canada and the Danes should relinquish all claim to
> > it, if for no other reason than gratitude to the sacrifice that Cdn
> > troops made in WW2 to help liberate Europe including Denmark and caring
> > for the Danish royal family in exile in Canada.
>
> That compares to you giving us Ellsmere Island for saving
> canadian butts in Iraq. We sent a genuine antique submarine
> for the desert war. Thoroughly eqipped with the latest in high
> tech snow shovels.
>

> The Danish king stayed in Denmark all through ww2. The royal
> head of Canada, by the way, stayed in England during that
> period. Really pathetic.

It is my understanding that members of the Danish monarchy stayed for
the duration of the war in Canada.

> 1940 - Nazi Germany invades Denmark.
> 2005 - Imperialist Canada invades Denmark.
>
> Same difference.
> http://www.freehansisland.com/hansisland-bannerii.png
>

> > Cdns should boycott all Danish companies including A.P. Moller, Reimer
> > (trucking), Hudd Distribution, P&O Nedlloyd, Carlsberg (beer) and
> > Maersk Sealand until the Danish govt recognizes Cdn control over Hans
> > Island. At least a company of troops should be stationed at Hans Island
> > full time until Denmark renounces its wrongful claim.
>
> Well ... you're correct in naming the island "Hans Island",
> and that quite settles the issue.
>
> "Hans Island" is the danish and thus correct name for this
> from times immemorial inseparable part of our glorious nation
> (pbuu)
>
> And its an outrage what Canada has commited on Hans Island!
>
> Ever since your inhuman and illegal occupation of Hans Island
> in 2005 no humans has been able to live there. The landscape
> was left totally barren and devoid of any ability to sustain
> the life for even one of you miniscule canadians.
>
> But dont you get all cocky about that achivement.
>
> What really happened was that we sent _two_ all-weather,
> ice-strengthened war ships. Here is one of them:
> http://www.2deling.dk/F359.htm
>
> Canada doesn't posses that kind of sublime arctic military
> power and resorted to send a _politician_ !!
>
> You guys simply got no chance. By right and might .. Hans
> Island i ours!

We can settle it in a hockey game if you want. Cdns should also boycott
Akvavit made in Denmark.

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 05:24

Fra : Greg Carr

Dato : 13-08-06 05:37

klunk's a coward wrote:
> In article <1i920n4vjg68k$.dlg@hrsvendsen.fqdn.th-h.de>, HrSvendsen@msn.com
> says...
> >

> >The Danish king stayed in Denmark all through ww2.
>
> No doubt, since he was a pal of Hitler's like most of the monarchists of europe
> were (including Britain's royalty).

http://www.auschwitz.dk/Denmark.htm gives a different account. 99% of
Danish Jews survived the war.

Afterall, Hitler's eurpeon imperialism was

Fra : klunk's a coward

Dato : 13-08-06 22:09

Fra : klunk

Dato : 23-08-06 02:33

it figures that mini-bush is incapable of dealing with complex social issues
like the insite facility and would prefer to start a war with Denmark...
kinda reminds me of two effeminate men slapping each other's shoulders while
proving themselves to be testosterone deficient...