'All cultures are equal' (or are they?!)
Fra : Michael Laudahn

Dato : 14-03-06 11:50

(citered efter canadafirst.net)

All cultures are equal. If one beats blind women for defiling the
sacred precincts of a cab with seeing-eye dogs while another takes dog
grooming to ridiculous lengths, it's all the same:

"A 7-year-old girl wed a stray dog in a ritual to ward off the 'evil
eye' on her and her family in eastern India, a news agency reported
yesterday. Shivam Munda's upper teeth appeared before her lower teeth,
which is considered a bad omen by members of the Santhal ethnic group
to which she belongs, the Press Trust of India said in a report from
Dhanbad, a coal mining town in the eastern state of Bihar. Kundan
Munda, a coal mine worker, said his daughter married the dog only to
'remove the evil eye,' a superstitious belief that some misfortune
could befall her and the family. [Fortunately, one early cross-species
marriage is no impediment to future wedded bliss.] He added that she
would be free to marry a man later. Friends and family participated in
three days of traditional ceremonies and festivities that are part of a
Santhal tribal marriage, Munda said." (Associated Press, February 23,
2006)

Speaking of ba-a-a-d marriages, "a Sudanese man has been forced to take
a goat as his 'wife,' after he was caught having sex with the animal.
The goat's owner, Mr Alifi, said he surprised the man with his goat and
took him to a council of elders. They ordered the man, Mr Tombe, to
pay a dowry of 15,000 Sudanese dinars ($50) to Mr Alifi. 'We have
given him the goat, and as far as we know they are still together,' Mr
Alifi said. Mr Alifi, Hai Malakal in Upper Nile State, told the Juba
Post newspaper that he heard a loud noise around midnight on 13
February and immediately rushed outside to find Mr Tombe with his goat.
'When I asked him: What are you doing there?, he fell off the back of
the goat, so I captured and tied him up.' Mr Alifi then called elders
to decide how to deal with the case. 'They said I should not take him
to the police, but rather let him pay a dowry for my goat because he
used it as his wife,' Mr Alifi told the newspaper." (BBC, February 24,
2006)

Haha and all that, but does the whole flock or pack qualify under
family reunification regulations?

--
>.)

Unter blinden ist der einäugige könig.