Cross strait perspectives
Fra : J.Venning

Dato : 14-02-06 13:57

"Enkil" <nospam@yanoo.com> wrote in message news:dssiq1$d3$1@netnews.hinet.net...
>> There are a large number of Muslim immigrants who cannot speak
>> Danish - not because they cannot learn it, but because they refuse to
>> do so, as a sign to show that they do not want to integrate with the
>> Danish people.
> They told you this? All of them? Even the older people that may have
> trouble learning a new language?

No, they did not tell me this personally, but they have aired this view in the media. We have a very big problem in relation to integration here in Denmark, and the problem is not alleviated by the fact that the immigrants do not want to learn the Danish language. How do I know this? By being here and seeing the situation first hand. When I first arrived to this country, I made a point of learning the language by going to institutions run by the government specially for foreigners. The Muslims in the classes made a point of not wanting to learn the language, because once they can learn the language, they will be put into the job market and lose their welfare money. No, I did not, had not, and never will draw welfare money. It may be true that elder people cannot learn the language, but when they arrived in the country, they were not elderly to start with.

> Or he simply has difficulties learning the language. But it appears you may
> just want to malign his motives. What would be your motive for that?

I do not know what his motives are. Do you? Would a fairly intelligent person like Jim Walsh not be able to learn Chinese after two decades? Specially when he considers Taiwan his home and loves the Chinese people?
J.

Fra : abianchen@my-deja.co~

Dato : 14-02-06 14:06

That's indeed a mystery. I met some foreigners who have lived in
Taiwan for many years and some of them can even make better jokes in
Chinese than us.

Fra : Enkil

Dato : 14-02-06 17:04

J.Venning wrote:
> "Enkil" <nospam@yanoo.com> wrote in message
>>> There are a large number of Muslim immigrants who cannot speak
>>> Danish - not because they cannot learn it, but because they refuse
>>> to do so, as a sign to show that they do not want to integrate with
>>> the Danish people.
>> They told you this? All of them? Even the older people that may
>> have trouble learning a new language?
>
> No, they did not tell me this personally, but they have aired
> this view in the media. We have a very big problem in relation to
> integration here in Denmark, and the problem is not alleviated by the
> fact that the immigrants do not want to learn the Danish language.
> How do I know this? By being here and seeing the situation first
> hand. When I first arrived to this country, I made a point of
> learning the language by going to institutions run by the government
> specially for foreigners. The Muslims in the classes made a point of
> not wanting to learn the language, because once they can learn the
> language, they will be put into the job market and lose their welfare
> money. No, I did not, had not, and never will draw welfare money. It
> may be true that elder people cannot learn the language, but when
> they arrived in the country, they were not elderly to start with.

I think that you are missing the point that of all the Muslims in Denmark
some of them want to learn Danish, and of those some will not be able to due
to whatever reason. That a majority don't want to is quite irrelevant to
this discussion.

>> Or he simply has difficulties learning the language. But it appears
>> you may just want to malign his motives. What would be your motive
>> for that?
>>
> I do not know what his motives are. Do you? Would a fairly
> intelligent person like Jim Walsh not be able to learn Chinese after
> two decades? Specially when he considers Taiwan his home and loves
> the Chinese people?

Sure. Many people have difficulties learning another language. I see
nothing exceptional about his inability not to.