U.S. backs Muslims in European cartoon dis~
Fra : abianchen@my-deja.co~

Dato : 06-02-06 06:37

U.S. backs Muslims in European cartoon dispute

By Saul Hudson

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States backed Muslims on Friday
against European newspapers that printed caricatures of the Prophet
Mohammad in a move that could help America's battered image in the
Islamic world.

Inserting itself into a dispute that has become a lightning rod for
anti-European sentiment across the Muslim world, the United States
sided with Muslims outraged that the publications put press freedom
over respect for religion.

"These cartoons are indeed offensive to the belief of Muslims," State
Department spokesman Kurtis Cooper said in answer to a question.

"We all fully recognise and respect freedom of the press and
expression, but it must be coupled with press responsibility. Inciting
religious or ethnic hatreds in this manner is not acceptable."

The United States, seeking to strike a balance between competing
rights, stopped short of urging U.S. media not to republish the
cartoons that include depicting Mohammad as a terrorist.

American Muslims welcomed the position despite some misgivings that
unpopular U.S. policies such as the Iraq war and perceived pro-Israeli
stances in the Palestinian conflict meant there was little America
could do to repair its image.

Cooper said he had no comment as to why the United States chose to pass
judgement in a dispute that ostensibly does not involve America.

But the United States, which was founded by immigrants fleeing
religious persecution, has previously spoken out against publications
offensive to believers of other faiths.

"Anti-Muslim images are as unacceptable as anti-Semitic images, as
anti-Christian images or any other religious belief," State Department
spokesman Sean McCormack told reporters.

The United States, which before the September 11 attacks was criticised
for insensitivity to the Islamic culture, has become more attuned to
Muslim sensibilities.

Accusations last year that U.S. officials desecrated the Koran sparked
deadly riots in Asia and heightened that awareness.

DIFFERENT RESPONSE IN U.S. AND EUROPE

Major U.S. publications have not republished the cartoons.

In contrast, some European media responded to the criticism against the
Danish newspaper that originally printed the caricatures by reproducing
the images and fuelled anger that has led to boycotts of Danish
products and widespread protests.

The U.S. response contrasted with European governments, which have
tended to acknowledge the tension between free speech and respect for
religion but have generally accepted the newspapers' rights to print
the cartoons.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American Islamic
Relations, applauded the U.S. position.

The State Department reaction "was a strong statement in support of
Muslims around the world. It's a reflection of the concern felt by
millions of Muslims and I think it will be appreciated," he said.

James Zogby, president of the Arab American Institute, said the United
States avoided drawing the ire of Muslims in this dispute, but it would
take an overhaul of its policies to begin to improve its image.

"It's a sound response on this issue that escapes the fire. But
repairing the U.S. standing in the Muslim world is already so out of
reach that this move can't provide any help," he said.

The U.S. criticism of the newspapers also comes after the Pentagon
complained over a Washington Post cartoon.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff sent an unusual letter to the editor that was
published on Thursday, denouncing as "reprehensible" and "beyond
tasteless" a cartoon earlier in the week portraying Defence Secretary
Donald Rumsfeld as insensitive to U.S. troop casualties.

The cartoon portrayed a soldier who had lost his arms and legs with
Rumsfeld at his hospital bedside saying, "I'm listing your condition as
'battle hardened.'"

(Additional reporting by Caroline Drees)

Reuters

http://www.swissinfo.org/sen/swissinfo.html?siteSect=143&sid=6439412&cKey=1139044829000

Fra : ltlee1

Dato : 06-02-06 14:54

Who said what in the cartoon row
by
Sunday 05 February 2006 1:51 PM GMT

The cartoons triggered global protests

The row over the cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad has sparked
protests and comment worldwide. The following are some key quotes on
the controversy:

"The idea seemed good. The intention was to provoke a debate about the
extent to which we self-censor in our coverage of Muslim issues.
Jan Lund, foreign editor with Jylland-Posten, explaining why the Danish
national daily decided to run a series of cartoons depicting Prophet
Muhammad on 30 September last year

"Now it has become more than a case about the drawings:
Now there are forces that wants a confrontation between our
cultures ... It is in no one's interest, neither them or us"
Danish Foreign Minister Per Stig Moeller tells Danish radio that
"enough is enough" as protests against the cartoons become increasingly
violent

The Danish government cannot apologise on behalf of a Danish newspaper.
It does not work like that ... and we have explained that to the Arab
countries. Independent media are not edited by the government."
Danish Prime Minister, Anders Fogh Rasmussen, gives his own take on the
editorial decision.

"What we say to Muslims is that we must not at this time stoop to the
level of those who want to resort to insulting the prophet of Islam as
a terrorist. We should engage in peaceful, responsible protest."
Haji Mustafa, a representative of Muslim group, Hizb-ut-Tahrir, conveys
his dismay at Muslims threatening Westerners with violence during a
demonstration in London.

"There is freedom of speech, we all respect that, but there is not any
obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory... I believe
that the republication of these cartoons has been unnecessary, it has
been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong."
British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw

"Whatever your views on these cartoons, we have a tradition of freedom
of speech in this country which has to be protected. Certainly there
can be no tolerance of incitement to murder."
The shadow UK home secretary David Davis condemns the offensive
placards carried by demonstrators in London.

"We know that moral double standards sometimes guide certain reactions
in the Arab world. If we start to stop using our right to the freedom
of expression within our legal boundaries then we start to develop an
appeasement mentality."
Roger Koppel, editor of German daily Die Welt criticises
Jylland-Posten's decision to apologise for the cartoons.

"This is an insult to the Prophet Muhammad. Furthermore, we have asked
our national companies to boycott all Danish goods."
Jamal Ibrahim, a Sudanese Foreign Ministry spokesman echoes the
sentiments of many countries across the Gulf whose supermarkets stopped
selling Danish goods.

"Overreactions surpassing the limits of peaceful democratic acts ...
are dangerous and detrimental to the efforts to defend the legitimate
case of the Muslim world."
Statement from the Organisation of the Islamic Conference.

"This has nothing to do with Islam at all ... Destabilising security
and vandalism give a wrong image of Islam. Prophet Mohammad cannot be
defended this way."
Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora.

"We call on all fighters in the resistance to reactive their military
activities and the first target of the upcoming attacks should be
Danish troops."
Militant leaflet handed out in Ramadi, Iraq.

"Silence from the Muslim World has encouraged other European newspapers
to reprint the blasphemous cartoons."
Mohammad Hanif, a Taliban spokesman.

"Two values are in conflict here. One is respect for religion and the
other is freedom of speech."
Peter Vandermeersch, Editor-in-Chief of Belgian newspaper De Standaard,
which reproduced the pictures.

Unspecified
By

You can find this article at:
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D8783146-2647-4243-BFB4-DF9B1B379C37.htm

Fra : abianchen@my-deja.co~

Dato : 06-02-06 17:58

Here's opinion from World leaders on this cartoon incident:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel:

In Munich, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she understood Muslims'
indignation, but she deplored violence.

"I can understand that religious feelings of Muslims have been injured
and violated," Merkel said at an international security conference.

"But I also have to make clear that I feel it is unacceptable to see
this as legitimizing the use of violence."

British Foreign Secertary Jack Straw:

"There is freedom of speech, we all respect that, but there is not any
obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory... I believe
that the republication of these cartoons has been unnecessary, it has
been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong."

U.S. government:

[...]

The UN Secretary General, Kofi Annan:

"I also respect the right of freedom of speech. But of course freedom
of speech is never absolute. It entails responsibility and judgment,"
Annan added.

"What is important is that the newspaper that initially published the
cartoons has apologised, and I would urge my Muslim friends to accept
the apology, to accept it in the name of Allah the merciful, and lets
move on."

Fra : Lars J. Helbo

Dato : 06-02-06 21:46

On 6 Feb 2006 08:58:00 -0800, "abianchen@my-deja.com"
<abianchen@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Here's opinion from World leaders on this cartoon incident:
>
>German Chancellor Angela Merkel:
>
>In Munich, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said she understood Muslims'
>indignation, but she deplored violence.
>
>"I can understand that religious feelings of Muslims have been injured
>and violated," Merkel said at an international security conference.
>
>"But I also have to make clear that I feel it is unacceptable to see
>this as legitimizing the use of violence."

This is not a true picture of the German opinion about the matter.

Allready on Februar 2nd minister for internal affairs Wolgang Schäuble
made it ver clear that Germany is supporting the freedom of press. As
the german newspaper Die Welt had reprinted a number of the drawings,
he was asked, if the German government would apologise for this.

His answer was: "Warum sollte sich die Regierung für etwas
entschuldigen, was in Ausübung der Pressefreiheit passiert ist? Wenn
sich da der Staat einmischt, dann ist das der erste Schritt zur
Einschränkung der Pressefreiheit."

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/0,1518,398767,00.html

Fra : abianchen@my-deja.co~

Dato : 06-02-06 22:21

Fra : Lars J. Helbo

Dato : 07-02-06 09:34

On 6 Feb 2006 13:20:37 -0800, "abianchen@my-deja.com"
<abianchen@my-deja.com> wrote:

>"There is freedom of speech, we all respect that, but there is not any
>obligation to insult or to be gratuitously inflammatory... I believe
>that the republication of these cartoons has been unnecessary, it has
>been insensitive, it has been disrespectful and it has been wrong."
>British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw

This man Jack Staw, is he somehow related to the late mr. Chamberlain?

Fra : namso

Dato : 06-02-06 23:24

American are double head snakes. US want to kill Muslims more than just
cartoons.

Fra : J.Venning

Dato : 06-02-06 23:35

"namso" <namso@rome.com> wrote in message news:1139264624.211278.225650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> American are double head snakes. US want to kill Muslims more than just
> cartoons.

Are you telling us that the United States wants to kill more Muslims than cartoons?
J.