Joey Ramone RIP
Fra : LarsHJ

Dato : 16-04-01 17:28

Joey Ramone, lead singer of seminal punk act the Ramones, has died from
lymphoma.
Ramone, born Jeffrey Hyman, formed the punk rock band in his hometown of
Queens, New York, in 1974, along with John Cummings (Johnny Ramone) and
Douglas Colvin (Dee Dee Ramone).
The group's boiled-down, sped-up pop-rock style reinvigorated the rock scene
and influenced the sound of punk acts such as the Sex Pistols and the
Buzzcocks. The band was one of the first punk acts to sign a record
contract, in 1975.
Though the band's most well-known songs - including "Rock and Roll High
School," "I Wanna Be Sedated," and "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker" - were recorded
in the 1970s and early '80s, the act continued, with several lineup
shuffles, until 1995's Adios Amigos.

Joey Ramone, lead singer of legendary punk band the Ramones, passed away at
2:40 p.m. Sunday at the age of 49.

The towering front man, born Jeffrey Hyman, did not respond to treatment for
lymphatic cancer, a disease that attacks the body's ability to fight
infection.

Along with his cohorts Johnny, Tommy and Dee Dee - all of whom adopted
Ramone as a surname - Joey was credited with helping found the modern punk
movement. In mixing the griminess of the New York streets with a love of
bubblegum pop, '60s girl groups and the Stooges, the Ramones inspired
everyone from the Sex Pistols and the Clash to Green Day and Blink-182 to
stake their turf on four dirty chords and an (often) inane hook.

With his trademark rose-colored shades, black leather jacket,
shoulder-length hair, ripped jeans and alternately snarling and crooning,
hiccoughing vocals, Joey was the iconic godfather of punk. He gave voice to
some of the most revered songs in the punk canon: "Blitzkrieg Bop," "Gimme
Gimme Shock Treatment," "Rock 'n' Roll High School," "I Wanna Be Sedated,"
"Sheena Is a Punk Rocker."

His profile was indelible.

The image of Joey's body, left foot forward, right foot back, left hand
strangling the microphone, fist pumping in the air as he shouted one of the
band's unofficial mantras, "Gabba Gabba Hey!," is forever imprinted in the
minds of any fan who attended one of the band's 2,263 shows.

Born in the Forest Hills section of Queens, New York, on May 19, 1952, Joey
founded the Ramones in 1974 with Johnny, Dee Dee and Tommy. Originally the
drummer, Joey switched to vocals two months after the band played it first
show in March 1974 at New York's Performance Studio.

The group soon became a staple at the dingy New York punk club CBGB, home to
fellow downtown bands Talking Heads, Patti Smith and Blondie. In 1975 the
Ramones became the first punk band to sign a record contract. Their
self-titled debut, recorded for $6,000, was released in 1976 and featured
such rock landmarks as "Judy Is a Punk," "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" and
"Beat on the Brat."

Destroying the '70s prog-rock idea that rock had to be played by learned
musicians in full command of their instruments, the Ramones pioneered the
do-it-yourself ideal that inspired thousands of punk bands with lots of
energy but dicey chops to pick up instruments and rock.

Their 1977 album Ramones Leave Home featured a quintessential mix of
gutter-punk anthems and homages to classic pop songs ("I Remember You," "Oh
Oh I Love Her So"). It also featured the unofficial Ramones anthem
"Pinhead," in which Joey sang, "I don't want to be a Pinhead no more/ I just
found a nurse that I could go for."

The Ramones not only prodded bands such as the Sex Pistols, the Clash and
X-Ray Spex to take up their instruments and take on the world, but they also
laid the path for the next generation of new wave and punk bands to rock
maximally with minimal flourish.

Inspired by the Ramones' wide-open subject matter - which ranged from
sniffing glue to male prostitution to lobotomies - as well as by the music,
'80s bands such as Husker Du, the Replacements and Devo further exploded the
notion of how rock could sound.

The Ramones released what is arguably their best album, Rocket to Russia, in
1977. Featuring such concert staples as "Cretin Hop," "Rockaway Beach" and
"We're a Happy Family," the album not only summed up the glum outlook of the
punk generation, it was a shrill counterpoint to the disco music that was
sweeping the nation in the wake of "Saturday Night Fever." After trying
their hands at the movies, starring in 1979's "Rock 'n' Roll High School,"
the group entered the studio with one of their idols, '60s' "wall of sound"
producer Phil Spector. The resulting 1980 album, End of the Century,
included a cover of "Baby I Love You" by the Ronettes, who were fronted by
one of Joey's favorite singers, Ronnie Spector (Phil's ex-wife).

The group followed with 10 more studio albums of speedy, anti-social punk
and a relentless touring schedule, and enjoyed Beatlemania-style fame in
Argentina and Japan.

Although the band rarely cracked the album charts and achieved marginal
album sales during a 22-year career, its influence continues to this day.
With most of his contemporaries faded, dead or inactive, Joey became the
embodiment of first-wave punk, with a shy, soft-spoken manner that belied
his band's twisted songs about social misfits too bored, disconnected or
disaffected to play by the rules.

Joey may have shared a last name with his bandmates, but familial love
couldn't keep them from their constant bickering, leading to the Ramones'
dissolution in 1996. After the group played its final show on August 9, 1996
- such fans as Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell
jammed with the Ramones that night - Joey continued to carry the torch for
the music he loved.

In addition to producing an EP and an album by horror-ska rockers the
Independents - whom he tirelessly championed and managed for much of the
late '90s - Joey co-produced a 1999 EP by his idol Ronnie Spector.

The EP featured one of Joey's most poignant tunes, "She Talks to Rainbows,"
a ballad he wrote for the Ramones' 1995 studio swan song, Adios Amigos!. It
was about a girl Joey would often see in his neighborhood, who he said
looked like she was in her own world.

"She's a little lost girl in her own little world/ She looks so happy, but
seems so sad/ Oh yeah/ I'd like to help her/ I'd like to try/ Oh yeah,"
Spector sang in her trademark yearning voice on the EP.

In addition to trying to help resurrect the career of his hero Spector, Joey
was working on his debut solo album over the past three years.

Collaborating with long-time Ramones producer Daniel Rey, Ramone had written
nearly 20 new tunes that he planned to record with a band that included Andy
Shernoff of the punk group the Dictators, Cracker drummer Frank Funaro and
Rey on guitar.

Joey kept a low profile over the past few years, jumping onstage to belt out
occasional Ramones songs at birthday parties in his honor thrown by his
punk-rocker friends in New York. In February 2000, he buried the hatchet
with former Ramones drummer Marky Ramone, recruiting Marky to play on a
handful of his solo songs.

--
Med venlig hilsen
Lars

Fra : Michael Thomsen

Dato : 16-04-01 22:11

Snøft! R.I.P Joey.

OG alle med bare den mindste hang til punk eller 60'er pige-pop bør anskaffe
sig Ronnie Spectors/Joey Ramones "She Talks To Rainbows" EP, som også
omtales i nekrologen ovenfor. Jeg købte den i Baden Baden for halvandet år
siden, og det er et af mine bedste musikkøb nogensinde. Jeg er stadig ved at
græde hver gang jeg hører titelsangen. Original-versionen med the Ramones
var ikke noget særligt, men Ronnie Spectors vokal hæver den op i skyerne.
Efter min mening den 3. bedste sang hun har indspillet efter "Be My Baby" og
"Walking In The Rain". Og alle de øvrige sange på ep'en rykker også. . . .

Michael

Fra : kautaq

Dato : 16-04-01 23:23

LarsHJ wrote:

> Joey Ramone, lead singer of seminal punk act the Ramones, has died from
> lymphoma.

Tak for oplysningen.
Al respekt for en de største og mest betydningsfulde
forsangere i rockens historie.
Jeg har i dette øjeblik sat Ramones:Ramones 1976 på
pladespilleren - det rykker.

One two three four...

Bare det at han synger: Second verse, same as the first
og: Third verse, different from the first,
i "judy is a punk" er simpelthen skelsættende for den
udvikling rockmusikken tager efter deres første udgivelse
i 1976.

Skråt op med alverdens konformiteter og lange guitarsoloer -
har du noget på hjertet eller har du ikke.

Det havde Joey og alle dem der efterfølgende tog den nye
bølge til deres hjerte og skabte fundamentet for en helt
ny udvikling rockens historie.

Oh I don't know why/perhaps they'll die.

Judy Is a Punk

written by: Joey
duration: 1:30

Judy Is a Punk

Jackie is a punk
Judy is a runt
They both went down to Berlin, joined the Ice Capades
And oh, I don't know why
Oh, I don't know why
Perhaps they'll die.
Second verse, same as the first
Third verse, different from the first.
Jackie is a punk
Judy is a runt
They both went down to Frisco, joined the SLA
And oh, I don't know why
Oh, I don't know why
Perhaps they'll die.

--