DANISH ARCHIVE FAQ
Fra : Hugh Watkins

Dato : 29-10-03 15:36

Danish archives exist in 6 main levels

(1)
National Archive (Rigsarkivet) in Copenhagen
Government and central courts
http://www.sa.dk/

An electronic catalogue equivalent to PROCAT is in beta but not availabe to the public in the archives or on the web yet

electronic and data http://www.sa.dk/dda/default.htm

business records http://www.sa.dk/ea/default.htm

(2)
4 provincial archives (Landsarkiver).

regional or provincial and county or town courts

http://www.sa.dk/sa/omarkiverne/kort.htm

(3)
local archives
http://www.lokalarkiver.dk

<< go by many names >>

http://www.lokalarkiver.dk/Arkivvejviser2000/Arkivvejviser.htm

Lokalhistoriske Arkiv >> local history archive
Lokalarkivet = Lokalarkiv -the< neuter gender

Byarkivet Byarkiv >> Town achive
Stadsarkiv >> Town (council) archive
(købstad >>> MARKET town with royal charter >> borough )

Sogns Lokalhistorie >> Parish's local history
Egnsmuseum >> district('s) museum

Lokalhistorisk Forening >> Local History society
Hjemstavnsforening >> Home ?roots? association

BTW Copenhagen Stadsarkiv http://www.ksa.kk.dk/
has very substantial archives in the town hall
inclucing details of many people who moved to Copenhagen but were born elswhere.
and the Guild records equivalent to Apprentice Rolls

(4)
private archives some of which may be deposited above
or at major libraries. http://danpa.dda.dk/

(5)
printed books, newspapers maps photographs postcards mss
http://www.kb.dk

the national collection (and deposits) equal to UK British library
USA library of Congress

(6)
lending and reference libraries
union catalogue http://bibliotek.dk/

============== Outside Denmark ===============

http://www.familysearch.org

a very large collection in UTAH and available to order in the branch libraries or FHC all over the world

and use PLACE search with DANISH spelling

>> Localities in Denmark are filed in the order of the Danish alphabet; Æ, Ø, Å are filed at the end of the alphabet.
Danish localities are taken from the gazetteer,
Danmark, by J. P. Trap,
948.9 E2t. << their Call Number - also available on fiche

Use German spellings as well near the border in Jutland.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=E&Juris1=137

The Family History Library has microfilm copies of most of the old Danish church records before about 1920. There is no fee for
using these microfilms in person.

NB
Microfilm and microfiche copies of church records are also found at the National Archive (Rigsarkivet) in Copenhagen and at the
provincial archives (Landsarkiver).

The original church records prior to about 1920 to 1945 are found in the provincial archives. The Danish curch is an established or
State Church.

Church books more recent than those are found in the local parish offices which still function as the organ of civil registration
and are now recording data electronically.

Copies of the fiche of parish registers and census
(Mikrokort af kirkebøger og folketællinger )
may be puchased from
http://www.sa.dk/saf/salgservice/default.htm

================== on line =====================

On line databases
transcriptions http://ddd.sa.dk/

>> In cooperation with DDA (Dansk Data Arkiv http://www.sa.dk/dda/default.htm ) and the organization DIS Danmark (Databehandling i
Slægtsforskning http://www.dis-danmark.dk/ ) we bring county maps showing which census records are being transcribed at the moment
and which have already been made available in the source transcription project.<
coverage http://www.dis-danmark.dk/kipkort/fronta-e.htm

images http://www.arkivalieronline.dk/
>> Efter de foreløbige beregninger vil scanningen af de cirka 120.000 mikrokort vare fire år,<<
It is estimated that scanning 120 000 fiche will take about 4 years

kirkebøger see drop down menu

folketællinger census 1810 1840 1860

I use this viewer http://www.alternatiff.com/

more links http://www.dis-danmark.dk/danlinuk.htm

Boards http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=an&p=localities.scan-balt.denmark.counties

also search for surnames

http://resources.rootsweb.com/surnames/d/e/DENMARK/

an excellent list http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/DNK/DENMARK.html
with many knowledgable and helpful people.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+denmark+genealogy&num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=G&scoring=d

http://groups.google.com/groups?num=100&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=off&scoring=d&q=+danmark+genealogi&btnG=Google+Search

=================== where to begin ===========

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/guide/Denmark.ASP
>> This outline introduces you to the records you can use to discover your Danish ancestors. It describes the content, use, and
availability of major genealogical records. Use this outline to set meaningful goals and to select the records that will help you
achieve your research goals. <<

or here
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=E&Juris1=137

Danish words with their English translations
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/rg/frameset_rg.asp?Dest=G1&Aid=&Gid=&Lid=&Sid=&Did=&Juris1=&Event=&Year=&Gloss=&Sub=&Tab=&Entry=&Guide=WLDanish.ASP

And then you should consider starting with local archives in Denmark

They will probably have copies of census and parish registers and will be very interested in news from USA and abroad.

I have had much success with local archives, where families have deposited papers and photographs, and there are extensive
collections of newspaper cuttings and knowledge of oral histories.

Some do not even have email but they are really interested in hearing about children of the parish abroad.

So do write to them in Denmark

Hugh W

--
http://hughw36.blogspot.com GENEALOGE