Olympus UZ2100 SDS reparation
Fra : PP

Dato : 10-10-03 20:11

Hej foto-gruppe,

Jeg har netop deltaget i reparation af et Olympus UZ2100, som havde den
velkendte SDS fejl - vedhæftet er en beskrivelse af, hvordan vi gjorde.

Det er skrevet på engelsk, fordi det også er lagt ud på www.dpreview.com

Olympus UZ 2100 camera with SDS (Sudden death syndrome)

Recently I took part in repair of a Olympus UZ 2100 camera with SDS (Sudden
death syndrome).

SDS is known as a failure where the camera has problems with starting up the
LCD display and controlling the zoom function (among other)

The reason for this failure was a fuse resistor in the power circuitry which
was blown - the normal value is probably 0.1 Ohm.

In order to repair the camera it was necessary to take it apart almost
completely - no easy way.

About 75 screws were removed - different sizes and threads - they were
organized and numbered in a way so they could be mounted again correctly.
Numbers were written on the camera with a thin permanent marker at all
places where a screw was removed.

Before a mechanical part is removed it is a good idea to make a marking on
the part itself and on the part it was removed from.

I guess the whole job took about 10 hours - but the gift was getting the
wonderful UZ2100 to work again.

If you don't have some experience in electronics and delicate mechanics, it
cannot be adviced to do the job.

Take care with static electricity.

The procedure was as follows:

a.. Start removing all outer shell parts - you need to remove all screws,
also those underneath the flash when opened up and in the battery/flash card
compartment.
b.. Protect the lens hereafter
c.. Remove the LCD pcb - (leave it hanging in the two thick wires). The
ribbon cable connector has a release function - use it.
d.. Remove the top LCD pcb
e.. Remove the plastic parts for the battery compartment and flash card
slot
f.. Remove the pcb behind the formerly removed LCD pcb
g.. Remove the total lens unit.
h.. The power supply pcb should now be visible (recogniced with a big
capacitor and a metal shield plate on it)
i.. In one corner of the power supply pcb two fuse resistors can be seen
with a "N" marking on the top
j.. One of those is probably blown - check it with an Ohm meter - the
reading should be close to zero
k.. Either replace the fuse with a new one or short circuit the old one
with a thin wire that is soldered on top of it.
l.. Assemble the camera again !!
m.. Put in batteries and pray.... we had luck with it - I guess you will
also succeed with it
Regards

P. Payne, Denmark