MP3-player in VB6-program
Fra : sjoerd

Dato : 17-06-03 14:23

Hi,

I wrote a program in VB6 to organize and play mp3-files. At this moment I
use a shellcommand to play the mp3-files. (shell c:\program
files\winamp3\winamp3.exe <filename>)

It works, but it isn't the most beautiful way. Can I male a player part of
my VB-program to play the files?

Thanks,

Sjoerd

Fra : Ian Cowley

Dato : 17-06-03 14:26

sjoerd <iwi@iwi.myweb.nl> burbled:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a program in VB6 to organize and play mp3-files. At this
> moment I use a shellcommand to play the mp3-files. (shell c:\program
> files\winamp3\winamp3.exe <filename>)
>
> It works, but it isn't the most beautiful way. Can I male a player
> part of my VB-program to play the files?

DirectPlay should be able to play MP3s. Try implementing the DP APIs.

--
Ian Cowley (Not Reverend) - Perfecting pedantry through practice

"It was quite a funny joke, and nobody got hurt. The ones where
nothing catches on fire are my favourite."

Fra : BeastFish

Dato : 17-06-03 22:12

you can use MCI. Take a look at this site:

http://www.geocities.com/smigman.geo/mci/mci.html

Fra : Mike Williams

Dato : 17-06-03 22:18

"BeastFish" <BeastFish@for-president.com> wrote in message
> you can use MCI. Take a look at this site:
> http://www.geocities.com/smigman.geo/mci/mci.html

Are you sure that thing (MCI) can play mp3 files. I certainly can't make it
do so.

Mike

Fra : Frank Adam

Dato : 17-06-03 22:29

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:17:54 +0100, "Mike Williams"
<Mike@BrandyandCoke.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>"BeastFish" <BeastFish@for-president.com> wrote in message
>> you can use MCI. Take a look at this site:
>> http://www.geocities.com/smigman.geo/mci/mci.html
>
>Are you sure that thing (MCI) can play mp3 files. I certainly can't make it
>do so.

I can.

excerpt :

Public Function MCIPlay() As Long
Dim sRet As String * 200
Dim ret As Long
ret = mciSendString("play playing", sRet, 200, 0)
If ret = 0 Then
frmPlayer.tmrMCIUpdate.Enabled = True
End If
End Function

--

Regards, Frank

Fra : Frank Adam

Dato : 17-06-03 22:34

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:28:52 GMT, fajp@xxxxoptushome.com.au (Frank
Adam) wrote:

Actually this might come in handy with that. :)

Note : playmode is not used. I let the system work it all out.

Public Function PlayFile(fileName As String, playMode As PLAYMODES) As
Boolean
Dim sRet As String
Dim ret As Long, secs As Long, mins As Long, sec As Long
sRet = Space$(200)

isFilePlaying = False

START_PLAY:

ret = mciSendString("open " & Chr$(34) & Trim$(fileName) &
Chr$(34) & " alias playing", sRet, Len(sRet), 0)
If ret Then
Select Case ret
Case MCIERR_DUPLICATE_ALIAS:
Call CloseMCI
GoTo START_PLAY
Case Else:
MsgBox ret, vbOKOnly, "MCIError"
End Select
End If
If ret = 0 Then
ret = mciSendString("set playing time format ms", sRet, 200,
0)
ret = mciSendString("status playing length", sRet, 200, 0)
If ret = 0 Then
secs = Val(Trim$(sRet)) \ 1000
sec = secs Mod 60
mins = secs \ 60
frmPlayer.uscProgressBar1.Value = 0
frmPlayer.uscProgressBar1.Max = secs
curFileLength = "/" & Format$(mins, "00") & ":" &
Format$(sec, "00")

Else
curFileLength = "/??:??"
End If
isMCIOpen = True
isFilePlaying = MCIPlay
End If
PlayFile = isFilePlaying
End Function

--

Regards, Frank

Fra : Mike Williams

Dato : 18-06-03 11:05

Thank you Frank and Larry and Beatie Boy. Got it going now

Mike

Fra : Larry

Dato : 18-06-03 01:44

"Mike Williams" <Mike@BrandyandCoke.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> "BeastFish" <BeastFish@for-president.com> wrote in message
> > you can use MCI. Take a look at this site:
> > http://www.geocities.com/smigman.geo/mci/mci.html
>
> Are you sure that thing (MCI) can play mp3 files. I certainly can't make
it
> do so.
>
> Mike

Are you specifying the correct device type in the call to mciSendString to
"open" ? Have you tried MPEGVideo2 ?

e.g. mciSendString "open " & chr(34) & MyMP3 & chr(34) & _
" type MPEGVideo2 alias MP3",0&, 0, hWnd

If that doesn't work, take a look in your win.ini (in the windows directory)
under MCI and see what is associated with MP3

HTH

Fra : BeastFish

Dato : 18-06-03 06:35

Yup. But MCI barfs on long filenames, especially if there are spaces.
So ya need to get the DOS short path/file name (GetShortPathName
API).