Problem with META-TAG "Page-Enter" with IE~
Fra : Erik van Duijn

Dato : 29-01-03 20:13

Hi

has anyone of you experienced an enormous slow down while viewing pages with
the Meta tag "Page Enter" added to them?
This meta tag produces a kind of cross fade between two pages, which works
OK in IE 5 and 6 but not so well in IE 5.5 (so far only tested on Win2000):
the cross fade takes many times longer than specified (for instance,
although I specified it to last for 5 sec., it takes well over half a minute
to finish: see www.supportact.nl ). It is not related to hardware, because
on the same PC (PII, 128MB ram) it works fine with IE5 (have not tried out
IE6 yet).

Any suggestions on how to solve it? (the service packs 1 and 2 do not
mention this problem as one that is fixed by it)

Thanks in advance

Erik
Holland

Fra : Anne Sandsgaard

Dato : 30-01-03 16:04

Erik van Duijn skrev:
> has anyone of you experienced an enormous slow down while
> viewing pages with the Meta tag "Page Enter" added to them?

Yes. I use IE5.5 under Win98 and this problem is *very* annoying.
Whenever I enter a page using the meta tag Page-Enter, Page-Exit,
Site-Enter, or Site-Exit I close the window and never come back.

-Anne

Fra : Knud Gert Ellentoft

Dato : 30-01-03 17:17

"Anne Sandsgaard" <no@spam.INVALID> skrev :

>Yes. I use IE5.5 under Win98 and this problem is *very* annoying.
>Whenever I enter a page using the meta tag Page-Enter, Page-Exit,
>Site-Enter, or Site-Exit I close the window and never come back.

Du kan slå det fra i internetindtillinger => avanceret => fjern
flueben ved Enable Page Transition (ved ikke, hvad det hedder i
dansk IE).

--
Knud - http://home13.inet.tele.dk/smedpark/
Når der svares på et indlæg, svar venligst under det citerede og

Fra : Anne Sandsgaard

Dato : 30-01-03 17:44

Knud Gert Ellentoft skrev:
> "Anne Sandsgaard" <no@spam.INVALID> skrev :
> > Yes. I use IE5.5 under Win98 and this problem is *very*
> > annoying. Whenever I enter a page using the meta tag
> > Page-Enter, Page-Exit, Site-Enter, or Site-Exit I close the
> > window and never come back.
>
> Du kan slå det fra i internetindtillinger => avanceret => fjern
> flueben ved Enable Page Transition (ved ikke, hvad det hedder i
> dansk IE).

Page Transition ... Aha! - Så det er dét det hedder.
Tusind tak for hjælpen.
Jeg vil helt sikkert være et mere lykkeligt menneske fra og med i
dag.

--
Hilsen Anne
http://annarella.dk

Fra : Erik Ginnerskov

Dato : 30-01-03 20:06

"Knud Gert Ellentoft" <knudgert@mail.tele.dk> skrev
> Du kan slå det fra i internetindtillinger => avanceret => fjern
> flueben ved Enable Page Transition (ved ikke, hvad det hedder i
> dansk IE).

Aktiver sideovergange

--
Med venlig hilsen
Erik Ginnerskov - erik@ginnerskov.dk

Fra : Erik van Duijn

Dato : 31-01-03 21:49

Hi Anne

Thanks for your input!

Good to know that I am not the only one suffering from problems with the
combo IE5.5 and Meta Tag "Page Enter"

Strange that Micro$oft does not mention it at all (as far as I know)

Thanks again for your information

Erik
Holland

Fra : Lasse Reichstein Nie~

Dato : 30-01-03 16:13

"Erik van Duijn" <evduijn@wanadoo.nl> writes:

> has anyone of you experienced an enormous slow down while viewing pages with
> the Meta tag "Page Enter" added to them?

Not in person, my browser doesn't support them (and if it did, it
wouldn't be my browser :)).

> Any suggestions on how to solve it? (the service packs 1 and 2 do not
> mention this problem as one that is fixed by it)

Use, e.g., Proximitron to remove it from the page, then you won't ever
have to wait for it again. It's good for removing many other irritating
web-designer habits.

/L
--
Lasse Reichstein Nielsen - lrn@brics.dk
Ph.D. i datalogi søger software-udvikler-stilling i Øst- eller

Fra : Jens Gyldenkærne Cla~

Dato : 30-01-03 23:39

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen skrev:

> Not in person, my browser doesn't support them (and if it did,
> it wouldn't be my browser :)).

The "feature" can be turned of in IE. I tend to agree that it
should never have been activated in the first place, but it is at
least a good thing(tm) that it can be removed.

> Use, e.g., Proximitron to remove it from the page,

Or just look in the advanced settings setup dialogue.

BTW: I think our dutch visitor actually wanted the page
transitions.
--
Jens Gyldenkærne Clausen
Svar venligst under det du citerer, og citer kun det der er

Fra : Erik van Duijn

Dato : 31-01-03 22:15

Hi Jens and Lasse

indeed I do want those transitions, but only when they are shown the way
they are "coded" to be shown: the way IE5.5 does this is very annoying.
Lasse, you are obviously not into those transistions. I guess it is just a
matter of taste; it depends on how intensively one uses those gadgets. I too
find it irritating when one uses a dozen effects to make up a site. My site
is a rock band site which not only wants to provide band information but
wants to be expressionistic / creative too. I don't dislike transisitions as
long as they fit into the whole site package: well chosen and especially not
too long....

Honestly, the fact IE5.5 makes a mess of these transitions kind of forces me
to alter the pages.

Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I must admit that some of you wrote
in Danish (am I right?!) and I did not quite understand what you meant (my
Danish is not the greatest on earth . Excuse me on that part!

Thanks again

Erik
Holland

Fra : Jens Gyldenkærne Cla~

Dato : 31-01-03 22:49

Erik van Duijn skrev:

> Thanks all of you for your suggestions. I must admit that some
> of you wrote in Danish (am I right?!)

Answers in other languages than English or Danish are very rare -
so yes, you are right. (Actually even questions and answers in
English are quite rare - but they do occur).

> and I did not quite understand what you meant (my Danish is not
> the greatest on earth . Excuse me on that part!

There are quite a few similarities between Danish and Dutch - at
least in writing. But to understand a specific answer written in
Danish would perhaps be too much to demand.

> Thanks again

You're welcome. However - please note that the standard method of
quoting a usenet message is to place your own text _below_ the
quotation. Also, it is considered unpolite (bad netiquette) to
quote a full message - it is sufficient to quote lines that are
directly relevant to the new text.

One more thing: Why did you ask your question here? There's nothing
wrong in doing so, but I would guess that there also is a dutch
group on html programming. Most people (what I know of) use either
a national group or one of the international (big 8) groups - i.e.
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html.

Fra : Erik van Duijn

Dato : 01-02-03 11:46

"Jens Gyldenkærne Clausen" wrote

> Answers in other languages than English or Danish are very rare -
> so yes, you are right. (Actually even questions and answers in
> English are quite rare - but they do occur).

Hi Jens,

please do'nt get me wrong on the language part: I find it very normal that
when writing to a Danish group, the answers will be in Danish (or
maybe/hopefully English). No objections to this at all (same would happen in
a Dutch group, I guess). I was just expressing my difficulty in
understanding your language as a Dutchman. Guess I still need some practise
!

> please note that the standard method of
> quoting a usenet message is to place your own text _below_ the
> quotation. Also, it is considered unpolite (bad netiquette) to
> quote a full message - it is sufficient to quote lines that are
> directly relevant to the new text.

You are right. I knew but I forgot (normally I do follow this netiquette). I
guess I handled this message too much as a normal email-message (with which
*I must admit* I am less strict when it comes to quoting/answering).
Hopefully this one makes up for it.

> Why did you ask your question here? There's nothing
> wrong in doing so, but I would guess that there also is a dutch
> group on html programming.

Actually, I was looking for a specific win2000-NG since the problem occurred
on a win2000-platform. Combining this with the assumption that I did not
expect Microsoft to go wrong on this on their IE5.5 (since the meta-tag we
are discussing is *I assume* a IE-supported feature only). I saw the phrase
"internet.webdesign.html" while I was searching for "windows 2000" so I
don't know why this NG was listed as one containing "win 2000"-related
messages (maybe I ordered to look the NG's messages also??). I also falsely
assumed that it was an 'international group'. Guess I had to look more
thorough though, seen the language of most of its messages ! So...wrong two
times (jee, indeed a few mistakes! ) I will write to the related Dutch NG
asap (although I already have quite a clear vision on what the problem is, I
want a few more experiences because I get a strong idea that many dislike
the fading effect I use on my web site).

Thanks Jens for your informative reply. I apreciate it.

Bye!

Erik
Holland