Declawing godt nyt
Fra : marianne hellemose

Dato : 20-01-03 08:43

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) - In a city known for its progressive stands
on
social issues, officials are championing the rights of a different breed
of
residents - cats.

They want the city to become the first in the nation to ban the declawing
of
the popular pets.
If the City Council approves the ban as expected on Tuesday, West
Hollywood
would join 13 European nations that have outlawed the procedure condemned
by
many as inhumane because it involves cutting off part of the animal's
toes.
The operation is performed on thousands of cats every year mainly to
protect
people and furniture from slashing.
``You wouldn't dig out a human's nails,'' said resident Karen Stith, who
adopted a 1-year-old tabby this week. ``Declawing is a cruel abuse.''
Among the supporters of the ban is ``Golden Girls'' actress Bea Arthur.
``I've lived with cats for many years and would never dream of subjecting
them to this needless, painful mutilation,'' Arthur wrote in a letter to
the
City Council.
West Hollywood cat owner Karl Sowa opposes the ban. He said saving his
Himalayan cat Teufel from the pound gave him the right to declaw it.
``If we had to make some accommodations to protect our couch, I think
that's
OK because he has a good home,'' Sowa said.
The activist group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said the
ban
would be the first of its kind in this country. The organization intends
lobby other cities around the nation to adopt similar laws.
The Association of Veterinarians for Animal Rights, which has more than
2,500
practicing members nationwide, also supports the ban.
It would not be the first groundbreaking stance taken by West Hollywood, a
city of just one square mile with 3,500 residents. It was the first city
in
the country to enact a program for domestic partners that, among other
things, extended health insurance coverage to gay and lesbian partners of
city employees.
Officials also say it was the first city to declare itself ``pro-choice''
when it comes to decisions involving abortion.
Last year, West Hollywood passed a motion officially dubbing pet owners
``animal guardians'' to acknowledge the importance of pets to the city's
population. The terminology was mostly ceremonial - until now.
``I thought this would be a great first step to putting some teeth in the
resolution,'' said Councilman John Duran, who proposed the ban after
owning a
number of declawed cats. He hopes cat owners will consider other options
like
claw caps and better training.
Stith agreed. She and her husband have often patched tears to their
mattress
caused by their cat. It's all part of adopting a pet, she said.
``Train them to use a scratching post or trim their nails,'' she said.

01/17/03 13:58

--
Marianne

Hellemose Somali
hellemose.som@KATTEparadis.tdcadsl.dk

Some people have lives, others have cats