Newbie ! ! Cookies
Fra : Barry Fawthrop

Dato : 13-02-01 18:04

Help PLease someone

How does one create a simple "cookie" that will help me know WHO it is
that visits my site.

My log files give me an IP address
I would like something more personal like a name or e-mail address.
I am wanting to know who is visiting my site so that I can see which hits
are people and which are search engines registering / checking my site ???

Please

Thanks
Barry

Fra : Rick [Kitty5]

Dato : 13-02-01 20:18

> How does one create a simple "cookie" that will help me know WHO it is
> that visits my site.
>
> My log files give me an IP address
> I would like something more personal like a name or e-mail address.
> I am wanting to know who is visiting my site so that I can see which hits
> are people and which are search engines registering / checking my site ???

cookies can only provide information YOU store in them.

--
Rick

POV-Ray News & Resources - http://povray.co.uk
Kitty5 WebDesign - http://kitty5.com
Hi-Impact web site design & database driven e-commerce
TEL : +44 (01625) 266358 - FAX : +44 (01625) 611913 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

Fra : Barry Fawthrop

Dato : 13-02-01 21:44

Okay But How then do you add / create a cookie that is attached to a .html
What I am basically wanting is a file to be generated on my server that will
list certain environment variables each time a page is accessed.

Thus have a index.visit file that a line is added to each time index.html is
accessed
The line added has HTTP_USER_AGENT REMOTE_ADDR etc.. results ???

Fra : Craig Bennett

Dato : 13-02-01 21:49

>Okay But How then do you add / create a cookie that is attached to a .html
>What I am basically wanting is a file to be generated on my server that will
>list certain environment variables each time a page is accessed.
>
>Thus have a index.visit file that a line is added to each time index.html is
>accessed
>The line added has HTTP_USER_AGENT REMOTE_ADDR etc.. results ???

You don't need a cookie for that.. you need a logging script that records
environment information. probably a perl script called through an image
tag, or a SSI include.

Craig

Fra : brucie

Dato : 13-02-01 21:59

"Craig Bennett" <theclyde@mindless.com> wrote in message
: >Okay But How then do you add / create a cookie that is attached to a
..html
: >What I am basically wanting is a file to be generated on my server that
will
: >list certain environment variables each time a page is accessed.
: >
:
: You don't need a cookie for that.. you need a logging script that records
: environment information. probably a perl script called through an image
: tag, or a SSI include.
:
: Craig
:

a cookie shoppe:
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Cookies/

a web stats shoppe:
http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/Logging_Accesses_and_
Statistics/

bb
--
Brucies Buttons
http://www.brucies.com/

Fra : Jens Peter Karlsen

Dato : 13-02-01 21:54

Ask them for the info and then store what they enter in a cookie.
Don't expect many to answer and those that do answer the majority will
likely be fake.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Fra : Ross Peplow

Dato : 14-02-01 01:40

Sorry but you are not able to get personal stuff like a name or e-mail
address. all you can get is:

-Sreen size (e.g 800x600, 1024x768)
-Color depth (e.g 16bit, 32 bit)
-Host (e.g Btinternet, AOL)
-Time/Date
-Domain (e.g United Kingdom (.UK) CANADA (.CA) AUSTRALIA (.AU))
-Browser (e.g MSIE 5.x, Netscape comp. )

I use www.thecounter.com it does all this and more.
Hope it helps!!
Ross Peplow
Work: www.whiteraven.co.uk