Removing internet trails and other private~
Fra : GoodStuffAlways

Dato : 27-02-02 16:09

I’m trying to locate and remove any files that might be hanging around with
this internet history trails, cache, cookies, etc., along with an automated,
fool-proof way to remove them from time to time. Below is what I am already
doing, but every once in a while, like yesterday, I run across another file
stashed away that has stored private info in it. If anyone has any suggestions
of what to add to what I’malready doing, I would sure like to hear about it!
I’m using Windows 98SE and Office 95 and 2000.

Right now, I have been running this handy program I call CLEANUP.BAT (listing
below) from my desktop to remove temporary files, and also running Norton
Cleansweep to remove internet cache, cookies, etc. from my computer.

Then, from time to time, I boot into the DOS shell and remove these 3
INDEX.DATA files from various sub-folders in the WINDOWS folder, which contain
internet trails, cookies, etc, and can’t be removed while running Windows:

C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\INDEX.DAT
C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\INDEX.DAT
C:\WINDOWS\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT

Also, I have already set internet explorer, AOL, etc to remove history trails,
minimize cache, etc.

Anyway, I would sure like to hear about ways other folks have found to clean up
their PC. Here is the program I mentioned above. (The remarks at the end are
just reminders to me to delete these other files.) Thanks!!

CLEANUP.BAT

cd: c\
del /y c:\temp.*
del /y c:\windows\cookies\*.*
del /y c:\windows\history\*.*
del /y c:\windows\history\history.ie5\*.*
del /y c:\windows\recent\*.*
del /y c:\windows\spool\printers\*.*
del /y c:\windows\temp.*
del /y c:\windows\temp\*.*
del /y c:\windows\locals~1\tempor~1\*.*
del /y c:\windows\locals~1\tempor~1\content.ie5\*.*
deltree /y c:\windows\locals~1\tempor~1\content.ie5\*.*
deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
deltree /y c:\windows\history
deltree /y c:\windows\recent
deltree /y c:\windows\temp
deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~1
md c:\windows\temp
cd..
cls

rem - c:\windows\HISTORY\HISTORY.IE5\INDEX.DAT

rem - c:\windows\COOKIES\INDEX.DAT

rem - c:\windows\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT