problem with link length
Fra : Tino Korth

Dato : 29-11-01 14:56

hello,

does the internet explorer have a problems with links more
than 2000 characters?
i've got problems with (very) long links - in netscape my
links are working without problems, but the internet explorer
shows the "normal" link-hand, but if i click on the link
nothing happens.
if i'm trying to copy the link into the clipboard, nothing
happens.

why?
is there a maximum size for links?

i would be very happy about a fast answer.

bye

tino

Fra : Rowland Shaw

Dato : 29-11-01 15:51

"Tino Korth" <newsgroup@tk79.de> wrote...
> does the internet explorer have a problems with links more
> than 2000 characters?

Yes, I think the limit is 2048 chars.

> why?

Because the link has to slot into a buffer.

> is there a maximum size for links?

See above.

Anything longer than 500 chars is considered to be asking for trouble,
really...

Fra : Tino Korth

Dato : 29-11-01 16:31

Hello,

thanks, that's the answer i wanted to know!

bye

tino

Fra : MyNameIsMonkey

Dato : 29-11-01 16:16

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:56:26 +0100, the entity known as "Tino Korth"
<newsgroup@tk79.de> glommed itself to a keyboard and typed wrote:

>hello,
>
>does the internet explorer have a problems with links more
>than 2000 characters?
>i've got problems with (very) long links - in netscape my
>links are working without problems, but the internet explorer
>shows the "normal" link-hand, but if i click on the link
>nothing happens.
>if i'm trying to copy the link into the clipboard, nothing
>happens.
>
>why?
>is there a maximum size for links?
>
>i would be very happy about a fast answer.
>

>bye
>
>tino

IE cannot handle long URI's over 2048 chars

Here's a KB article for you.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q208427

MyNameIsMonkey
Online Services Manager
IPRO

Fra : Tino Korth

Dato : 29-11-01 16:33

hi,

tnx for the link!

it's very good because that's an official document of microsoft.

Fra : petermcc

Dato : 29-11-01 17:08

"Tino Korth" <newsgroup@tk79.de> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> tnx for the link!
>
> it's very good because that's an official document of microsoft.

That could be a red rag to a Bill

PeterMcC

Fra : Jim

Dato : 29-11-01 23:00

Is this from a form post perchance (If it is, try using post rather than
get).

IE is more adept at supporting spaces in URLs I have noticed whereas
Netscape is alittle more fussy.

Why are your links 2000 chrs anyway?...

Gav